Asbestos Removal Newcastle
These days, it seems very hard to live without worrying about our health. More and more news about the findings of asbestos-containing material (ACM) appears in the headlines. From domestic to public buildings like hospitals and school, all have been affected by this dangerous fibre.
One of the oldest buildings in the University of New Castle was found to be contaminated with fibrous products. The building was first constructed in 1965, and it used asbestos products. Since then, the legacy has remained to haunt the management of the university as well as the students – The Herald.
There’s No Day Without Worry
ACM Threats in Older Buildings
The building contaminated with ACMs in the university was built before the 1980s. Naturally, the asbestos could be found on the site.
How is it possible….?
According to the general rules:
- A building built before 1980 has high probability of having asbestos
- A building built in between 1980 until 1990 has a probability for containing products with dangerous fibres
- A building built after 1990 has a low probability of having any products containing ACMs
The Origin of the Use of Asbestos
ACM was first introduced in Australia for commercial and industry sites in the 1800s. It was used for soundproofing, insulation and fireproofing. This friable product could be found in houses and has the possibility of being used in a domestic building built prior to 1990.
Earlier asbestos was mined and produced into various materials. In between the 1940s and the end of 1980s, domestic building industry commonly used fibrous products.
There are three types of ACM:
ACMs are categorised into two products:
- Bonded products are composed of cement mixed with a small amount of ACM, not more than 15%. The characteristics are rigid, solid, non-friable and it will not easily become airborne. Another name for these items is fibro or AC sheeting.
- Friable products are commonly quite loose and soft. It can be crushed and becomes powder only by a hand pressure. These products have a high level of fibrous products, up to 100%. The products are quite hazardous because it can be airborne and then inhaled easily by individuals living or working in this area.
Compared to friable, bonded products cause low risks of exposure. However, when they are badly weathered or damaged, the materials are possible to change into friable.
Where Can I Find ACM in My House?
It can be found in various places in most older houses since previously it was widely used as house materials. The suspected places containing the materials including:
For Bonded type: AC materials were used widely in a housing industry.
- Wall cladding for interior and exterior,
- siding and shingles,
- thermal boards,
- and flue or water pipes.
For Friable type: Although mostly used in commercial and industry, this type can also be found in houses.
- Floor tiles and vinyl flooring backings,
- decorative ceiling coatings and textured paints,
- pipe lagging,
- carpet underlay,
- insulation or soundproofing spray on,
- plaster sealant,
- severely weather or hail or damaged.
How to Remove Them?
Before removing or replacing them, you have to ensure whether your home has the fibrous materials. To check the ACM, you can use services such as survey and testing. As for the survey, the function is to identify the location and the type of the materials.
To know what type of fibrous products that your house has, a professional assessor will take samples to a lab. Generally, the sampling is done in a NATA-accredited lab for an accurate result.
Next, you will be given a report known as an ACM register as the result of survey and testing. It is a document listing all identified or assumed ACMs in a building.
The register must:
- Document any identified or assumed fibrous materials in the building
- Document the date when ACM was identified
- Document the location, category and condition of materials containing this dangerous fibre
- Keep the information updated
- Confirm whether or not materials containing any dangerous fibre
You’re also required to complete a control plan before removing and renovating. A control plan includes at least:
- The control measures planned to be employed for removing the material
- The estimated amount and type of materials containing the harmful fibre
- The equipment including protective kits suggested being used for removing activities
I Plan to Do a DIY Asbestos Removal
A DIY for removing ACMs is permitted although you are strongly recommended to hire a licensed removalist. For DIY, you are allowed only to remove bonded ACMs with a size of 10m2. You are also recommended to take a training course related to fibrous materials. The training is to make sure that you will do a clean and safe removal process.
To ensure a safe removal process, you’re obliged to have protective equipment for doing the work. By using all the equipment, you can minimise any risks pose. Among the kits you must have are:
- Footwear covering
- Thick plastic bags
- Duct tape
Remember! You are working with a dangerous substance. This is why you need to take a serious precaution and awareness.
Asbestos Removal Newcastle Services
To ease your trouble for handling the removal, why don’t you ask for help through Clear Asbestos Removal Newcastle?
We have been working with excellent and trusted local contractors. They have been screened through a selective test. We require our endorsed contractors to have a certification and Class B license for doing the jobs.
You must have heard about air monitoring, emergency repair, demolition, consultant, and soil remediation. Those are services required to handle problems with materials containing a dangerous fibre.
However, if you plan to do the removal, you can ask for asbestos removal Newcastle services to our members. We guarantee they have the expertise and experience for the work. If you ask such service to our endorsed members, you are going to be assisted with the waste disposal. The disposal and transport will be handled using safe procedure compliance with the regulations.
Our local contractors also provided other services, including: Asbestos removal Newcastle, testing, management plan and roof removal.
Those four services are available for your convenience. The services will surely help you to solve your problem. In case you have been wondering about prices, we assure you that the prices charged will be worth the result you will get.
You also have the privilege to ask for three free quotes. The quote ensures you that there will be no hidden cost.
Do not hesitate no more. Call our endorsed contractors and live free from harm.